Why enlightenment?

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Sun Apr 19 03:10:55 CEST 2009

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 09:32:17 +0400 "Nikita V. Youshchenko" <yoush at debian.org>
said:

> > I wrote a small
> > dialer in python gtk and use normal applications from debian
> > (gpe-calendar, xvkbd keyboard, midori/firefox/arora/elinks browsers,
> > xchat, icewm window manager). This has give me a pretty stable "no
> > surprises around corners" environment with lots of applications and
> > let me to concentrate on helping kernel, Xorg and ogsmd development.
>
> Is your environment finger-friendly?
>

> Btw, I all WMs I've tried until now, either try to resize any window to
> become full-screen, or just keep windows size as is (so part os out of
> screen). Both ways make parts of windows inaccessible. Especially
> configuration dialogs. Tried E17 configuration dialogs (with font/scale
> set to something visible without a microscope), especially in "more
> options" mode?
>
> Why not just add scroolbars (in the WM frame I mean)?
> Especially for configuration dialogs. So if an app was not originally
> written for small screen, it could still be possible to reach everything
> in it's window.

because screen edges are very hard to access thanks to the bevel, and in x
(without conflicting with the apps own scrolling - and that then is only with
xevie). also because i just never wrote code to do it. i considered it but as i
couldnt do "finger scrolling" (middle of the window - swipe to scroll) i chose
not to try and push the work back onto the app to adapt to a limited window
side.

in reality - apps should probably handle this themselves. i know e's config
dialogs mostly dont fit - but that is a todo item. it's being worked on

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com