Why enlightenment?

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Sun Apr 19 03:28:56 CEST 2009

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 17:11:37 +0200 Bram Neijt <bneijt at gmail.com> said:

as such the choice of enviornment, thanks to it running x, is not limited, you
can use qt, gtk, sdl, fltk etc. e is a window manager - it happens to also have
spawned toolkits that lend themesleves to unique custom ui's and much more
flexibility than the larger toolkits. trust me on this - gtk's theme system
comes courtesy of me - i wrote it years ago. i know how far you will be able to
push gtk (without breaking it and effectively creating a new incompatible
toolkit). qt until a few months ago has a major license issue - GPL for a
library forces ALL apps to effectively be GPL. for the entire development of
gta02 it was GPL. GPL inherently restricts the freedom of app developers to NOT
make software GPL (MIT, BSD< or any other license they choose). if you chose to
ship with a GPL toolkit - then you limit what app developers can do. so qt was
right out (and i know a whole bunch of developers who simply dont want todo c++
in order to use qt - they want to use c or something else).

so gtk has its limits - also i have heard enough complaints of it being slow -
and that is from commercial developers in big electronics houses. they really
are not squeakingly happy with gtk and are hunting for other solutions. qt had
the license problems until a few months ago.

so what other choices do you have if you have eliminated qt for license
reasons and you think gtk is just not up to snuff and is unlikely to get there
easily without major breaks?