Freerunner as a wireless streamplayer?

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sun Apr 19 13:49:11 CEST 2009

shr-testing (previous version)

connects to wp2 AP using mofi - cant do wep for some reason
streams mp3's over wifi from my ISP's freezone via mplayer
audio is either speaker or motorola s9 BT A2DP headset

The wifi range is poor, but works around the house - ~50% distance wise
to a decent laptop
BT range is average
Some interaction between BT and wifi - you can buffer the wifi through
mplayer, but not BT
Dont use " wmiconfig -i eth0 --power maxperf" and BT - BT then operates
in spurts
The wifi will drop dead (usually requiring a reboot) after a variable
amount of time (but usually > 1hr)

BillK

On Sun, 2009-04-19 at 13:17 +0200, MartinG wrote:
> My Freerunner has just been collecting dust for the last few months,
> and after reading a bit regarding the buzz/echo hardware/software
> problems, I sort of gave up the device.
>
> BUT, there has been enough complaining and moaning already, so I
> thought I'd try to find out what use I can make of the device *today*.
>
> In my house I've got a server that holds all my music (mainly ogg, and
> some mp3), I've got a MythTV backend (providing an upnp service I
> believe), I've got a wireless network (WPA2), and some radios/stereo
> players in various rooms. Technically, the Freerunner is capable of
> connecting to an upnp server of the wlan, right? And to decode ogg,
> and send (stereo) output throught the jack, right? (if not ogg, I
> guess I could do on-the-fly recoding of ogg on the server)
>
> I've briefly search the list and the wiki and found this:
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Applications
> but I didn't find out if such an app really exists.
>
> Thing is, I have not yet managed to get a system up an running and
> connected to my wifi (I did have an early version of Qt sporadically
> connected, but got too frustrated by the interface). To be honest, I'm
> a bit lost regarding what distros currently exist and what distros are
> working.
>
> I tried the QT Extended Improved, but I guess I failed at following
> the somewhat long list of manual tweaking, so my FR doesn't currently
> boot (don't get me wrong, I highly appreciate the work done by the
> QtEI team).
>
> So what I ask is:
> Is it possible to download an image, simply reflash the phone, connect
> to my wlan, and opkg/ipkg install a player that is able play streams
> from my local server?
> (Is it possible to do *now*, or do I have to wait for teamA to finish
> featureX and make them talk to teamB, etc. Please be honest, I've been
> too optimistic for too long, and simply would like to know what are
> the possibilities as of today)
>
> best regards,
> MartinG
>
> --
> When you change the subject, also change the subject line, okay?

Home in Perth!