cellhunter --- the state of development and future

Sebastian Hammerl list-openmoko at omoco.de
Sun Apr 19 15:58:48 CEST 2009

Hi,

ivvmm schrieb:
> I wonder how quick is it developed and how much people are involved in?
> In fact no one in my country is using it(looked at the map on
> cellhunter's site). By also looking at the map we can see that many
> regions are already covered.

At the moment it is only me involved in the developing of cellhunter. At
the end of mai i will finish my master thesis and then i will have some
more time for cellhunter and developing will go on.
> So when the next steps will be taken? I mean integrating the ability to
> get a fix from a network cell for GPS clients. TangoGPS for example? Or
> will cellhunter remain just a game?

Cellhunter will cooperate with opencellid.org, the largest cell database
i know. with the api of opencellid someone can offer a program to get a
fix with cells or agps support. perhaps some location service will be
added to fso.

cellhunter is not just a game, the main goal is to get the database and
use the data. because it does not make sense to work only on the own
data it will join its database into opencellid.org. with this
cooperation there will be a good coverage worldwide and opencellid can
provide the data to the enduser. for a coverage of opencellid look at:
http://78.47.116.33/~hole/worldcells_opencellid.jpg

cellhunter itself offers an api to query the cells known by cellhunter.

So here is the call to all the developers around to create a location
service based on the opencellid data. for me that database should be the
main db and everyone can provide his data to this db.

greetings, sebastian