[SHR-testing] problem connecting to pc, and solution

Previdi Roberto previdi.roberto at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 18:52:29 CEST 2009

hello. after having upgraded the shr-testing (reflash, wifi-> opkg
update, opkg upgrade) i wasn't able to connect to my pc, because the
g_ether module insisted to use his default 00:1f.... mac address, and
when connecting to pc the pc udev assigned to him an ethX interface
name instead of usbX, disabling all the iptables and ifconfig
configured settings.
the solution i found was to give some options to the g_ether module, like this:

root at om-gta02 ~ $ touch /etc/modprobe.d/options
root at om-gta02 ~ $ echo "options g_ether host_addr=32:99:58:ea:d0:49
dev_addr=32:99:58:ea:d0:50" >> /etc/modprobe.d/options

(it's 2 lines, the second one will probably appears truncated in the email)
(i think you can invent the mac addresses by your fantasy, i just
think they should be different, and don't start with 00. anyway, these
2 works for me)
so, if anybody is having the same probem, you know what to do.

now some questions to somebody more expert:
- i tried to put this "options" file in /etc/modutils/ and executed
update-modules, but at the reboot the module completely ignored it.
after executing update-modules i found the /etc/modules.conf file
empty (just a "this file is generated..." comment at start) and
another /etc/modules file with the merged lines from /etc/modutils,
and with my options too. still, this file seems not to be used at the
module loading time. My question is: can /etc/modutils/*,
/etc/modules.conf and /etc/modules altogether be removed so people
don't lose hours trying to use them? or maybe they must be used in a
way i didn't understand?
- if i set a different mac address for each one of my om
distributions, could i assign a different ip address (from my pc
side), in order to not have all the ssh key conflicts each time i
reflash or just change my fr running distribution? i think it's matter
of writing some configuration rules for ifconfig, but is there some
example around?

btw, many compliments to all the developers of shr and fso, this is
getting very good!

--
roby