backing up rootfs fails - after 40m FreeRunner continues booting

Bram Mertens mertensb.mazda at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 00:07:55 CEST 2009

Hi,

I'm about ready to flash a new distro onto the FreRuuner main memory
but since it'll be the first time I wanted to try backing up the
existing distro first.  So I followed the steps on
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Backup .

However I'm unable to back up the rootfs as it takes more than 40
minutes and after 40minutes the FreeRunner continues to boot and I
get:
$ time sudo dfu-util -a rootfs -R -U 20090419-rootfs.jffs2
[sudo] password for m8ram:
dfu-util - (C) 2007-2008 by OpenMoko Inc.
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

Opening USB Device 0x0000:0x0000...
Claiming USB DFU Runtime Interface...
Determining device status: state = appIDLE, status = 0
Device really in Runtime Mode, send DFU detach request...
Resetting USB...
Opening USB Device...
Found Runtime: [0x1d50:0x5119] devnum=11, cfg=0, intf=0, alt=6, name="rootfs"
Claiming USB DFU Interface...
Setting Alternate Setting ...
Determining device status: state = dfuIDLE, status = 0
dfuIDLE, continuing
Transfer Size = 0x1000
bytes_per_hash=4096
Starting upload: [#######
####dfu_upload error -84

real    40m5.588s
user    0m0.088s
sys     0m1.357s

Is there a way to prevent this or to speed up the backup?  Or have it
continue where it left off?  The backup is already 247M...

Thanks in advance

Bram