backing up rootfs fails - after 40m FreeRunner continues booting

Cameron Frazier frazier.cameron at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 22:36:06 CEST 2009

> I pulled the battery and booted into NOR, it still shows:
> U-Boot 1.3.2-moko12 (May 09 2008 - 10:28:48)
> select reboot from menu - FDOM boots.
> Shut down device to NAND boot menu.
> NAND boot menu shows: pr 19 2009 -
> 19:10:05)520a22715fe7ff069b36b7dfdbb925a8e5a (A
>
> So it looks like NAND U-Boot was updated but NOR hasn't.  However
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Backup#Backing-up_flash_images
> specifically states that you need to be in NOR U-Boot before
> flashing/backing up.
>
> After reading http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Flashing_NOR I get the
> impression that flashing NOR is not really recommended compared to
> flashing NAND.

The NOR is not flashable on the Freerunner (sans debug board, or
special versions).  It's your failsafe should you break your NAND
bootloader in some spectacular fashion.

This is why you go into NOR for flashing, since it is invariable over
all the changes you can do to the system.

I still recommend using NeoTool for at least backing up, as it uses an
ssh connection and mkfs-jffs2 to create an image of the rootfs, rather
then fiddling with dfu-util.

Hope that helps in some fashion.