backing up rootfs fails - after 40m FreeRunner continues booting

Dale Maggee antisol at internode.on.net
Tue Apr 21 10:36:20 CEST 2009

Hi,

To backup your rootfs with NeoTool:

* Make sure you have a working image on your Neo. By 'Working', I mean
it should boot into the GUI, and networking should work - you should be
able to ssh into your neo. NeoTool is supposed to be pretty much "idiot
proof", so it should tell you if this isn't the case.

* Boot your Neo all the way into the gui. (NeoTool's rootfs backup needs
to use SSH, so your Neo should be completely booted, not at the boot menu)

* Run NeoTool, choose backup, select 'Root Filesystem' when it prompts
for what to backup, and choose 'Go!'.

* you may be told that you don't have mkfs-jffs2 installed. If this
happens, ssh into your neo and "opkg install mkfs-jffs2"

* the backup will take a while (maybe 20-30mins?). If you chose the
default backup method (jffs2), the file it produces will be flashable
using dfu-util or NeoTool.

HTH,
- -Dale