Why enlightenment?

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Tue Apr 21 13:26:12 CEST 2009

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 12:05:44 +0200 Bram Neijt <bneijt at gmail.com> said:

i'm going to keep it short as i really dont have time to go into al the details.

1. i am not interested in c++. this gets rid of qt, fltk and a bunch of other
toolkits. i know there are enough devs also not interested in c++.
2. this (in terms of major toolkits) gets you down to gtk or "something else".

so i'll focus on gtk vs efl.

1. gtk's theme engine is limited. it is limited by the code that lays out
widgets. you cannot make a theme have extra padding in a widget. yo cannot add
layering, text effects or many other things. gtk has no concept of layering
between widgets. widgets are laid out flat and should/cannot overlap.
2. gtk is slower. even just start times. try an app that uses efl and one that
uses gtk (and that have equivalently complex-looking themes/ui setups). see
which one pops up your window first. i have gotten it from developers doing
embedded evices to the point where they laughed at how slow gtk was. once they
used evas/efl - their apps came up seconds sooner. and efl was playing no
tricks to get there. even when they played the dlopen() tricks that maemo does
to launch gtk fast - efl still beat gtk - and it was going the long way around.
i have, in the meantime added a similar hack to elementary. and it now starts
even faster. this is anecdotes directly from people using it. their managers
are pressuring them to get apps to appear instantly. or as instantly as
possible. they hit a wall with gtk they couldnt - for months, improve. someone
decided to try efl and suddenly they were incredibly happy and moving forwards
again. gtk - if you begin to do anything "interesting" with the theme and ui
(theme engine) becomes pretty slow with redraws. visibly so on a slow old
device. keep your gtk to "grey bevels" or solid colors with simply looks and it
goes fine. get fancy and it comes to a crawl.

3. gtk has no ability to do blending in, aroudn or between widgets sanely
because it uses child windows (you would need to introduce compositing to gtk
or remove all child windows which will break its api)
4. try do a ui that INST just plain normal widgets with gtk. see where you get.
try do "xmms" (winamp etc.). efl drops into this kind of ui seamlessly as it
provides a canvas as the core drawing layer. making such custom ui;s (which
many people are rather fond of and make sense in specific cases). try this in
gtk (to the point of it being easy):

http://www.rasterman.com/files/wp2.avi

(i'm not done with it yet).

5. rendering. gtk uses cairo. cairo is full of floating point. the samsung 2442
has NO floating point unit. it's slow as arse without a fpu. many embedded
systems have no fpu. add to this rendering other than fp.. this means simple
pixel pushing (blending, scaling, etc.). cairo has a software engine of its own
- but normally uses xrender. both of these are significantly slower than evas's
software engine. by more than a factor of 2. doing the same operations. evas
has an xrender engine. it even once had a cairo engine. here i clocked the
cairo engine in at being 1/20th the speed of evas's existing software engine.
evas also has a OpenGL engine, DirectFB, Quartz, win32, wince, (and here in my
own sources i also have a OpenGLES 2.0 engine - sadnly the 3d GLES chipsets
i've tested it on simply run at about 1/4 the speed of evas's software
engine.. on the same platform... so it's awaiting some miracle to make it
speed up to the point of it being useful). it can render to the FB directly
(with no x11 involved). flipping between x and fb is a single line of code the
app selects on init. thus a 1 liner to have your app work in fb to x11.. or both
even without a single recompile or patch. there's an SDL engine, direct3d,
memory-buffer renderer direct-draw and even qtopia engine. thats a hell of a
lot of display targets. you can switch them simply by varying the init line.
gtk does not go here.

6. there are existing meta-object abstraction libraries on top - edje. this
allows you to define a "complex object" and layout in a data file. it splits
the look/theme/feel away from the programmer a bit allowing non-programmers to
generate them. it allows for defining interactions from events (mouse etc.)
signals (virtual events from the app) and animations. thus you can very easily
define a more custom layout for an app (eg a whole winamp skin) in a single
data file... and just load it - place it where you want and "let it go". edje
handles the rest for you. the animation, interaction and abstractions for
layout. no - it's not perfect. it has limits. but it's something gtk doesnt
even vaguely offer. sure you have libglade and to an extent you can begin to do
some.. but not all. not as easily.

yes. i am saying it wasn't good enough. i started evas and efl because nothing
else DID it. and still toolkits are playing catch up. if all you want is your
usual grey boxy normal widget ui - gtk is fine. but if you want to get
interesting. if you want do do imaginative things with layout and layering and
compositing... efl has it. it was built for it. no one stops you from using gtk
- it still works and is there. you are free to use it if you simply prefer it
or love it and wont try something else.

yes. i didnt bring qt in (i eliminated it due to c++ and earlier at the start
it was eliminated due to licensing).

now what other major toolkits are there. fltk is pretty minor and most others
are too so there you are not going to be choosing your toolkit by "popularity"
as they are all more niche.

note - i was invited to openmoko so i didnt CHOOSE efl. there was already deep
interest before i came. i didn't just join then "make it all e".