Command-line Yaouh! clone

rhn omcomali.rhn at porcupinefactory.org
Thu Apr 23 09:27:10 CEST 2009

This program was started before Yaouh! was published. Initially, it only
downloaded the empty tiles, so I called it fill_gaps.py. For a long time, I
felt it's sufficient, so I didn't change it. Recently, I decided that I
need something smarter - I tried out Yaouh!, which didn't have some of the
funcionaltiy I wanted. The code was a bit messy, too.

I improved my program instead.
Now it includes:
* lists of fallback URLs,
* If-Modified-Since HTTP headers,
* removal of files unused for a specified time
* skipping files modified recently
* forcing download empty tiles
* customizing the fallback rules (currently, the fallback lists are
different for diffferent zoom levels)

It doesn't:
* take any command-line parameters
* have a GUI
* check md5 (it's not really needed with If-Modified-Since
* download in multiple threads

It's written in Python, so it could be used to improve Yaouh!. It requires
urllib for downloading, which might not be installed by default in some
distributions.

--
Cheers,
rhn