Command-line Yaouh! clone

Risto H. Kurppa risto at kurppa.fi
Thu Apr 23 15:22:48 CEST 2009

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 4:11 PM, Helge Hafting <helge.hafting at hist.no> wrote:
>> These here sound good to me to have around (in Yaouh, too)
>> * skipping files modified recently
>
> How recent would that be?
> I run yaouh to get the latest tiles where I have updated the map. Of
> course, this is often the same tiles as I refreshed a couple of days
> earlier. So I think this has to be optional. Some kind of uses need to
> check fairly new tiles.

yep, of course optional and as you said, an addition to be able to
download only tiles updated less than D days would be nice, too, I
guess..

>> * forcing download empty tiles
> What does that mean?

For example download every tile that has 2 (or 3 or four) neighbors
downloaded to 'fill the gaps' in the map.

>> Does someone actally know how much load it creates on (new :) OSM
>> servers to update X mb of tiles with y% to be updated? Are there still
>> ways to decrease this?

> So with these numbers, you get 5X+10Xy kB or (5+10y)X kB to transfer.

So 300MB of tiles with 30% updated it would generate (5+10*30)*300 kB
= 89MB or so.. ok.. I wonder if it's ok for OSM people if people start
doing it like this a lot more than they now do.