Is there anything propietary in OpenMoko cells?

Timo Juhani Lindfors timo.lindfors at iki.fi
Fri Apr 24 13:41:08 CEST 2009

Javier Garcia <tirengarfio at yahoo.es> writes:
> recently i have discovered this list with truly opened operative systems that the FSF recommeds.
>
> Is OpenMoko absolutely compromise with open source? If yes, have you thought in asking to add OpenMoko to that list?

Depends on what you mean. "Openmoko" is a distro, company and a piece
of hardware. I only consider the "hardware" here since I do not use
the openmoko distro but debian on my phone.

The GSM stack runs an a separate ARM processor using a proprietary
operating system ("Nucleus PLUS" real-time operating system based on
strings from the firmware image). It was not field-upgradeable until
late 2008 when openmoko inc. published a port of the firmware upgrade
utility fluid.exe (it's binary-only) so that a bug could be fixed.

The wlan, gps and bluetooth chips also run some proprietary code but I
do not know if they are field-upgradeable.