USB Kernel problem with latest SHR unstable

Bram Mertens mertensb.mazda at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 21:17:02 CEST 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 4:08 PM, Thomas Otterbein <th.otterbein at gmx.net> wrote:
> On Friday 24 April 2009 15:16:38 Nelson Castillo wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 5:42 AM, Thomas Zimmermann
>>
>> <zimmermann at vdm-design.de> wrote:
>> >
>> > I don't know why, but the interface name on my host changed. For me it's
>> > now eth1.
>>
>> Check:
>>
>> http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/devel/2009-April/005384.html

> On my Ubuntu 8.10 the shr-unstable behaves exactly as described in the link.
> The X depends on your number of network cards. I use a notebook which has a
> cable and a Wifi ethernet adapter named eth0 and eth1. However the Neo becomes
> eth3 as it connects. I collected the information from the Wiki about USB
> Networking in a script, which i use until I managed to integrate the Neo
> better into Ubuntu and it's various network configuration mechanisms. The
> script has a variable for the interface as the first line. Adapt it to your
> needs and run it after you have connected your Neo to the USB port.
> I use "ifconfig" to check out the known network cards and their configuration.

On my Fedora 10 laptop nothing appears to happen anymore when I plug
in the Neo.  No messages in /var/log/messages, nothing in dmesg.

[m8ram at fedora10 ~]$ sudo /sbin/ip link show
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast
state UP qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:1c:23:01:c4:a0 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: wmaster0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc
pfifo_fast state UNKNOWN qlen 1000
    link/ieee802.11 00:1b:77:60:df:64 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
4: wlan0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast
state UP qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:1b:77:60:df:64 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
5: pan0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN
    link/ether 52:6d:38:6a:32:49 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

I am booting from U-Boot (in NAND) though, the post referenced above
mentions SHR-testing (the distro on the SD I'm booting from) behaving
differently when booted from QI.

I get the same result on my Xubuntu laptop so I fear that something
else got broken with the opkg update, opkg upgrade I performed.

So far I haven't found a description of what is needed on the side of
the FreeRunner itself.

When I check ifconfig -a on the FreeRunner I see an eth0 interface
with no IP address, eth0:avah alias with IP 169.254.7.134 and the
loopback device.
ip link show shows the loopback device and the eth0 interface.

When I check the /etc/network/interfaces it contains a comment right
before the auto usb0 section saying:
# Ethernet/RNDIS gadget (g_ether)
# ... or on host side, usbnet and random hwaddr

ifup usb0 retruns:
ifup: interface usb0 already configured
but ifconfig usb0 returns:
ifconfig usb0: error fetching interface information: Device not found

modprobe g_ether on the FreeRunner fails to locate the module so maybe
some modules are missing?  Or is this module no longer needed?

does not help.

One final note: the hardware is fine, when I start FDOM from the
device's main memory it is still recognized.

Thanks in advance.

Bram