[QT*] unpredictive keyboard

leonardo at lilik.it leonardo at lilik.it
Sun Apr 26 20:22:52 CEST 2009

Franky Van Liedekerke wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 11:36:26 +0200
> Franky Van Liedekerke <liedekef at telenet.be> wrote:

Hi Franky,

>> never mind ...  wrong copy, ok now :-)
>> Although I still believe no dictionaries should be updated when in
>> non-predictive mode. I would also like not to have to click on a word
>> before being able to enter a space and continue to the next word, so
>> default accept would be nice as well in unpredictive mode ...

I didn't have time to check your patch. Anyway you cannot avoid a way to
"accept" a word. If you slide right, you put a whitespace, if you click
on the bar you accept the word and you have a free whitespace. I've
noticed also that while you wait for the animation to end, you can type
new letters, so you don't waste time.

>> Probably KeyboardWidget::acceptWord() and OptionsWindow::acceptWord()
>> can benefit from you changes :-)
>
> - no more dictionary updates for non-predictive keyboard
> - disabled the animation for non-predictive keyboard (where the
>   selected word was "pulled" into the correct place, it is nice but a
>   bit overkill and too slow).

that's better!

> Please check it out, I provided a .so file here:
> http://www.e-dynamics.be/openmoko/libqpredictivekeyboard.so

thanks, the university server seems to be lazy today. tomorrow I hope it
will be fixed.

> For the changes:
> http://github.com/liedekef/qtmoko/commit/f818d487e3552e9b9832a9f5942ddfc3a2330031
>
> I've already build a new image with this (not online yet, since I'm
> setting it up on a new space). A visual hint for prediciveness would be
> nice, but I leave that up to you :-)

I've checked it quickly, it doesn't seem really easy, I should get more
ocnfident with Qt. I hope I will have time to make it visible.
Is it better something like a "p" on a corner or a very short popup
saying "unpredictive"?

> And a question: wouldn't it be more logical to add a space by default
> after each word? It was like that once I believe ...

that's what it does. When you  accept the word you have a whitespace added.

> Also, the capitalization is not working that good, maybe that can be
> off as well, or maybe that can be another option (left-bottom=>
> right-up stroke + visual confirmation).

capitalization doesn't work really ok. Well, it just doesn't work actually.

Something I've noticed that could be improved is that if you type a
single letter and you want to accept it it's quite hard to touch with
your finger the letter, since it's quite little. I guess this is
inherited from the predictive keyboard. It would be better to make the
whole bar reactive instead of the single letter.

ciao,
leonardo.

--
http://leonardo.lilik.it
Key fingerprint = 2C20 A587 05AC 42E5 1292  D0D4 3EED CFB5 52FD AD1E