[QT*] unpredictive keyboard

Franky Van Liedekerke liedekef at telenet.be
Mon Apr 27 10:39:07 CEST 2009

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 10:22 PM, leonardo at lilik.it <leonardo at lilik.it> wrote:
>>> I've already build a new image with this (not online yet, since I'm
>>> setting it up on a new space). A visual hint for prediciveness would
>>> be nice, but I leave that up to you :-)
>>
>> btw, I also added code for a backspace key. I *know* that you can slide
>> to the left for backspace, but if you want to delete an entire
>> sentence (or just 10 letters), this becomes ridiculous. Therefore: the
>> backspace key is to be found in the same group as the return key.
>> I've updated the current image with it.
>
> you can select the text you want to cancel and leftslide, but it's very
> unconfortable.

true, even more because there's no visual feedback for selection (I
think, or I never succeeded into selecting naything yet)

>> Now just some buttons to quickly go from letters to ciphers and to the
>> sentence-characters (".","?", etc...). Instead of always needing to
>> slide up and down ... There's place for at least 3 extra signs on the
>> letters screen, I would use them for "uppercase" (and in the uppercase
>> version: "lowercase"), "numbers" and "sentence-characters". This would
>> work more reliable and quicker than the basic sliding ...
>
> we could use the other three diagonals. I think it's better then filling
> the keyboard with more buttons, or it will end up like matchbox keyboard.

I understand the concern, but when you type in a sentence (or multiple
sentences) and you need punctuation characters, you're gonna need a
lot of sliding ... so I would bring the most used keyboards under 3
buttons as well. I'll try it, and if it clutters too much, I'll remove
it again. I can always leave the code in, and just disable it in the
layout.conf file ...
For the buttons, any suggestions? I can take any html code ... see
http://cityofstrife.net/hexcodes.html. For uppercase/lowercase, I'll
use an "fat arrow" up/down (x21E7 and x21E9), but what to use for
letter symbol, special char symbol and cipher symbol?
In the letters keyboards, I'll add: up/down, special char, ciphers
In the special char  keyboard, I'll add: letters (lowercase), ciphers
In the ciphers keyboard, I'll add: letters (lowercase), special chars

Franky