[SHR-Testing] Wireless Frustration (was: Re: [SHR-Testing] /etc/network/interfaces edit question)

Nicola Mfb nicola.mfb at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 14:15:33 CEST 2009

2009/4/28 Helge Hafting <helge.hafting at hist.no>:
> Adam Jimerson wrote:
>> Well it is nice to see that I am not the only person with this problem,
>> for me Mofi doesn't even load, I am installing the one from opkg.org
>> <http://opkg.org> to see if I have any better luck with it.
>
> I have trouble with wifi in SHR testing too. I suspect a kernel problem.
>
> I usually run wpa_supplicant. Failing that, I connect to WEP networks
> using "iwlist" "iwconfig" commands directly. Even these low-level tools
> fails most of the time. Occationally iwlist eth0 scan will work, but
> repeat the command and eth0 suddenly "doesn't support scanning". And of
> course it won't ever connect to any access point. Similiarly, iwconfig
> may claim there is no support for setting the essid.
>
> Having low-level stuff like iwconfig fail is what makes me suspect a
> kernel problem.

I may confirm this, I got unexpected "wow" events (it was already
reported), playing with enabling/disabling wifi in FSO after a bit put
the wifi chip in an unusable state with a strange framework log error
(similiar to expecting power set to 0 but failed), when this happens
the command "iwconfig eth0 power off" crashes and the kernel oops.

Other problems with wpa roaming mode that seems to not work,
wpa_action is missing, wpa_cli does not reports all connect/disconnect
errors and so on.

I ignored all these issues as before I used mainly BT networking and
USB, they works well with recent kernels, with olders BT stopped to
work after suspend/resume and with USB my laptop was often not able to
enumerate.

The network nightmare :)

     Nicola