Help with FSO calls timeouts (was: (om2009) OpenBmap client keeps crashing)

Risto H. Kurppa risto at kurppa.fi
Fri Aug 7 17:39:31 CEST 2009

comments inline

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 10:19 PM, Onen<onen.om at free.fr> wrote:

> I changed the subject, in order to try bringing attention to your
> timeouts issues...

good
>  > If paroli doesn't run, it wont start at all.
>
> This might be because my application does not request the GSM ressource.
> Thus, if GSM is not up and running, requested by another application, I
> am not sure of how nice it handles it.

Thats what I thought. Requesting the GSM resource might be a good
idea, if FSO can handle more than one app doing it: this way I
shouldnt have to run other apps if I just want to log stuff.

>  > I have some problems with GPS, I feel that Tangogps or openbmap alone
>  > can't actually ever see any satelites, but if I first start omgps
>  > (using ublox), I get a nice fix and then when I start openbmap or
>  > tango, it changes to fso and things sometimes work.
>
> Well I request GPS ressource and uses it through FSO API here. So at the
> moment I can't see my application being guilty here.

Understand

>  > Sometimes (like every 20th restart - I really mean it, i've wasted
>  > hours in the bus trying to run this and it's actually very
>  > frustrating...) it starts with no problems but then I can't turn it on
>  > (to make it actually store cell info) but it freezes and suddenly
>  > shows no UI.
>  >
>
> Difficult to help without logs... A very quick response would be a
> timeout about the GPS response (as you explain you meet difficulties
> with it) which my app does not handle correctly (but this never happened
> to me so far...).

What logs you want? fso? does openbmap strore it's own logs in
.openbmap.. will check..

> In this case I request a ressource (GPS and CPU, the latter for
> preventing the phone to suspend, but allow the screen to dim light)
> through FSO D-Bus API. This calls times out.

For some reason I had this bad feeling that actually it's FSO that
fails, not openbmap..

>  > Too bad I'm missing many cells, can't get higher in the openbmap stats :)
>
> That is very much annoying yes! You should have a backup distribution
> installed on SD card in case of ;-)

Well yes, true.. I just didn't believe it that suddenly sometghint
would break so that things stop working if I don't install anything..
I've heard they call Linux stable so I trusted.. :) The only changing
thing here is the country and the GSM cells, other than that I really
can't come up with anything that has changed.