Freerunner audio channels

Paul Fertser fercerpav at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 18:06:16 CEST 2009

David Fokkema <dfokkema at ileos.nl> writes:
> On Sat, 2009-08-08 at 15:05 +0400, Paul Fertser wrote:
>> David Fokkema <dfokkema at ileos.nl> writes:
>> > The fact that Freerunners differ in audio quality and settings has been
>> > stated on this list and on support. And going by the last paragraph,
>> > this is true.
>> >
>> > So, _why_ are Freerunners different?
>>
>> One of the problems is that some freerunner revisions are in fact
>> different in hardware. Most devices have 1uF capacitors instead of
>> R3004/R3005 (which should be 0R), and that's not a joke. That is
>
> 0R's are placeholders for possible future modifications, right? Is the
> 1uF capacitor deliberately (but mistakenly) inserted or is this a
> manufacturing bug?

The first :(

>> Unfortunately, there's no way to find out which devices are affected
>> by this bug judging only by revision and serial number as BOMs were
>> lost due to an incorrect file format conversion, one needs to actually
>> try and see for himself.
>
> If I open up my phone (have to do it someday, right?) how can I
> distinguish a 0R from a 1uF?

Unlikely since those caps are under a can and dismounting it requires
extra effort and you can damage something doing it.

>> AFAICT A7s are affected while at least some A6s (mine e.g.) not.
>
> Hmmm... that's bad.
>
> Are there many differences like these?

I don't know of anything important except those fake 0Rs and that the
bass was a bit improved in A7 (from 1uF to 4.7uF). If you're really
that interested, ask Joerg.

mailto:fercerpav at gmail.com