is wifi-driver developed anymore?

Paul Fertser fercerpav at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 11:25:22 CEST 2009

"arne anka" <openmoko at ginguppin.de> writes:
>>> - the fso way of retrieving the resource is discouraged
>>
>> Hm, no? fsoraw does exactly that: manages access to resources the fso
>> way.
>
> it's not that i know all these fso dbus commands by heart, but
>
> mdbus -s org.freesmartphone.ousaged /org/freesmartphone/Usage
> org.freesmartphone.Usage.SetResourcePolicy WiFi enabled
>
> which you called "in this particular case harmful", looks pretty much like
> the fso way to me. am i wrong?

I'm afraid yes. To me it looks like you haven't really read the page
and/or misunderstood the "resources" concept, sorry.

>>> looks to me pretty much like fso should do something about that (imho
>>> the
>>> need for fsoraw shows a lack of functionality in fso anyway, but that's
>>> another matter).
>>
>> I can't see how you came to this (imho wrong) conclusion.
>
> why is simply requesting the resource like openmoko-panel-plugin does,
> sufficient? which is the rationale for fsoraw here?

Automatic resource management.

> why using fsoraw, why isn't fso sufficient?

fsoraw uses fso. It's a wrapper for apps that do not (and shouldn't)
support fso resources "natively".

>>> another question: how good and reliable does that work when doing it
>>> repeatedly? and how does one stop wifi?
>>> killing fsoraw would power off wifi again -- how is that different from
>>> requesting and releasing the resource the fso way (i use
>>> openmoko-panel-plugin and it seems natural to click one icon and choose
>>> "enable" or "disable")?
>>
>> You just kill fsoraw or wpa_supplicant and the wifi module gets
>> unpowered and the driver unloaded. This works automatically and every
>> time.
>
> how is that different from plain fso?
> i recently tried
> - enable via openmoko-panel-plugin (opp)
> - run wpa_supplicant
> - got associated to my ap
> the something went wrong, so i disabled via opp and re-enabled, but no
> good -- wpa_supplicant did not get any association and disabling wifi
> again and attempting to unload ar6000 the console just got stuck.

Well, probably you hit some kernel or opp or firmware bug, hard to say
which exactly.

> since opp uses the official fso way to enable/disable resources and i
> still got those issues, apparently fsoraw does something different.

Yes, fsoraw doesn't enable/disable resources and it makes little sense
to do that. It requests resources and they got released as soon as
they're not needed anymore.

> when the way fsoraw does things, is ok with fso and furthermore, at least
> for wifi, is the only sane way to get wifi working, it _should_ be done in
> fso itself, since it apparently signifies a shortcoming in fso.

It _is_ done in fso itself. Just wpa_supplicant needs a wrapper
because it's not supposed to request the resource itself.

mailto:fercerpav at gmail.com