Kernel Mode-Setting (KMS) on Neo FreeRunner + Debian

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 07:41:39 CEST 2009

2009/8/19, Martin Jansa <martin.jansa at gmail.com>:
>> > I'm using this driver for some time and it behaves realy good. I didn't even
>> > noticed any garbled text or artifacts, which is great for this state of
>> > development :).
>>
>> You are probably talking about the non-KMS, normal xf86-video-glamo?
>
> No I'm really talking about KMS :). Today I've seen first garbled text in
> midori, but the rest looks the same as it looked with normal
> xf86-video-glamo or Xglamo before..

Wow, ok :) "Some time" sounded so long as it's not that many days away
when the X started working for the first time :) Good for you, I'm
mostly still seeing garbage in all but Zhone, though I haven't tried
many applications besides TangoGPS, lxterminal and some more GTK
programs. Even the fbpanel with the start menu, battery information
and Bluetooth icon is garbled.

As for those asking for instructions: I built the kernel branch [1]
with the http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Toolchain instructions.
Transferred the uImage.bin.xxx and modules to device, symlinked
/boot/uImage.bin to this uImage.bin.xxx and unpacked the modules
package. Then I built libdrm branch [2] and xf86-video-glamo [3] on
the phone itself. Using Debian from SD, so the only reason I didn't
build also kernel on the device was simply to save time.

When trying to build the xf86-video-glamo, use autoreconf -vi first. I
installed libdrm simply by make install (under /usr/local/lib) and
xf86-video-glamo by copying the library from .src/libs to
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/.

[1] http://git.openmoko.org/?p=kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/drm-tracking
[2] http://git.bitwiz.org.uk/?p=libdrm.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/glamo
[3] http://git.openmoko.org/?p=xf86-video-glamo.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/kms

Mesa [4] can be AFAIK ignored at this point (?), though you get even
neater X.org log lines by using it :) Since it hasn't been updated for
some months, I took a ready made binary from
http://www.bitwiz.org.uk/openmoko/dri-binaries/ and unpacked it
manually into my Debian.

[4] http://git.bitwiz.org.uk/?p=mesa.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/glamo

-Timo