[ALL] New showroom for Openmoko apps

Sebastian Krzyszkowiak seba.dos1 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 10:49:26 CEST 2009

On 8/21/09, Michael Pilgermann <KichKasch at gmx.de> wrote:
> For the packaging issue - I really like the idea of boosting the process to
> integrate into reps / distributions. (this would btw. ease the process of
> installation).
> However, documentation on how to do this is really rare. One could probably
> find a way to create a bb file (and also further required files) - but the
> way on
>
> * how to get this into a rep. / distribtution? *
>
> is really not transparent. Whom do I need to contact? Do I have to file an
> issue somewhere? The Openmoko wiki is not really helpful about this topic.

It was discussed DOZENS of times on maillist. Sending bb recipe (or
asking for writing such recipe) to shr-devel maillist is in majority
enough to have your app in SHR and FSO repositiories, which is enough,
as I don't know other active and supported OpenEmbedded based distro
here which isn't based on SHR or Om2009.

And if documentation isn't good enough: improve it, instead of making
something wrong by design!

> Lasts words:
> I wouldn't spend too much time when bringing up a SHOWROOM on tricky,
> technical stuff. Just a plain, simple, beautiful web site (supporting
> categories and distributions is nice I think) and - at least for now -
> manual installation instructions.
> I think, every OM user is able to run 'opkg install <APPNAME>'. It would be
> a great step forward, if deps are resolved and so on ...

Distribution repository, with graphical installer which can display
screenshots and descriptions. Some work on that is started in
shr-installer project. Nothing more is needed!

--
Sebastian Krzyszkowiak
dos