Python email or direct GMail lib?

Laszlo KREKACS laszlo.krekacs.list at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 11:46:49 CEST 2009

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 11:32 AM, Robin Paulson<robin.paulson at gmail.com> wrote:
>why are you limiting
> your app to reading mail through gmail's methods, instead of imap?)

I have tried to use simoultaneously gmail and an imap client
(thunderbird, evolution),
there are always caveats. The biggest is they always want to download all
the emails at once, the trashing does not work the same way, and
uploading (you have imap folders what your gmail account doesnt) is crashy,
and incredibly slow. I wanted to synchronize ~100MB email with my account
after a week(!!!) I gave up.

So using imap/pop is a viable way if and only if you always download all your
emails, and you only want to download the newest emails from gmail (<100 email).

And you almost never want to upload emails ie. synchronize with your account,
im not talking about sending email, its totally different issue.

Best regards,
 Laszlo