Om2009

Laszlo KREKACS laszlo.krekacs.list at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 17:13:28 CEST 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 12:39 AM, Angus Ainslie<nytowl at openmoko.org> wrote:
> Now I have a question of all of you. Should I continue to maintain Om2009.
> From the recent poll by rhk it seems that SHR users outnumber OM users by ~
> 7:1. So what I'd like to know is does anyone still think Om2009 is a worthy
> venture or should I move over to SHR and see what help I can be there.

Abandone it if and only if you can lead the SHR stable effort.

There are some technical difficulties with it:
- most of the shr development and key decisions take place at irc.
You are Canada based while most of the shr developers are Europe based,
so there are some timing issues here;)
- So I think the main developer channel should be something more permanent,
like a mailing list. And every key decision should take place on it.

However your message generated lot of response, but the main
shr developers didnt speak up.

So I think until you dont get all the required support (ie, people's
agreements,
mailing list setup, machine access, or using
the available infrastructure, having some policies, etc)
there is no question about abandoning om2009.

Simply because it is stable, and stays stable. And all we would get is
simply one distro less, and no adding value anywhere.

> This should not be interpreted as paroli being abandonned as paroli is in the
> SHR feeds. I haven't tested it, but getting it to work would be one of my first
> tasks if it doesn't.

Maybe Im a bit biased here, but for me om2009 was perfect, because paroli
got the necessary support, and I didnt care much about the other programs...

But these days all special paroli requirements(eg: elementary) are provided
by default in SHR, so there is no significant difference anymore.

I would like to see the ubuntu approach:
1) Cherry pick a more or less working
shr unstable image, and start debugging, contribute bugfixes only.
2) repeat the above step in every 3 month.

For the first cherry-pick I would like to see waiting for the new 2.6.31
kernel with all the goodness, and stabilizing it.

Just an idea.

Best regards,
 Laszlo