Debian first experience made a bit easier...

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 08:04:55 CEST 2009

2009/8/27 Lee Grime <lee.grime at gmail.com>:
> Re-camping.  I can only tell it is doing this because I left it near my PC
> and the speakers were picking it up!  Happens about every 5-10mins.
> I did not have this problem with SHR, it is stable for GSM.  SMS has a few
> quirks, but nothing major.  I know there is a hardware fix for this, but why
> no problems with SHR?

Possibly because newest FSO release (5.5?) has not yet come to Debian.
Coming soon(ish).

> Wifi, could not connect to my T-Com (Germany) wireless router (WEP).  It was
> picked up using wifi-radar, but failed to get an IP address.

I don't remember if 2.6.28 or 2.6.29 is now the default in Debian. One
should generally install the 2.6.29 kernel - but the lingering problem
regarding 2.6.29 there is the omission of the patch that makes wifi
really work there http://docs.openmoko.org/trac/ticket/2277 . 2.6.28
has other problems, but 2.6.29 with that patch basically rocks for
everything. I have a self-compiled 2.6.29 + patch in use.

> Midori and tangoGPS do not pick anything up from the internet via USB
> connection to PC.  I can ping google no problem.  Midori worked via GPRS.

Works fine with my USB, I have the usual NAT forwarding on my laptop.
Though nowadays I actually forward the network via Bluetooth to Neo :)
(and also the other way around, from Neo to laptop when on road).

> Not sure how to put it into suspend, seems a bit flakey!

Press the power button? Also, in the wiki guide there are instructions
about suspend settings in general.

-Timo