Questions about the usability of GTA02

Gothnet openmoko at nastylittlehorse.net
Mon Feb 2 00:18:14 CET 2009

Rask Ingemann Lambertsen wrote:

> Why? What is it that you expect the Neo Freerunner to do that the other
> handheld devices out there won't? You will have noticed that pretty much
> all
> the unhappy users are those expecting the Neo Freerunner to be just
> another
> well polished smartphone. If you buy a Neo Freerunner, do it for the right
> reasons so you avoid disappointment.

I take issue with that a bit.

I'm not the most happy of users but I didn't expect a fully polished
smartphone. Some of the reasons you state were important to me, specifically
the fully open software stack.

That said, I did expect the basics to work in a solid way, and IMHO they
still aren't there. No GPRS, GPS, WiFi, bad  battery life... those sorts of
things I could put up with and did expect. Suspend and wake issues, bad
sound and unreliable receiving of calls and text messages were not what I
expected.

I know there's been a lot of progress, and I know there will be more, but
it's still not as useful as my £50 sony ericsson.

That said I have a lot of hope about developments in Android and FSO and
being able to use it more in the coming couple of months.