powerbudget of freerunner?

Timo Juhani Lindfors timo.lindfors at iki.fi
Mon Feb 2 10:22:09 CET 2009

joakim at verona.se writes:
> I would like to calculate how large battery capacity I need to have all
> the subsystems running(wifi, gps, gsm, bluetooth) + an external 3g
> modem. I would like to have 24h continuous uptime without suspend. (if i
> need a car battery to do it, so be it :)

$ wget http://iki.fi/lindi/openmoko/energy2.txt
$ cut -d' ' -f6 energy2.txt | sort -n | tail -n1
896437

shows that the largest peak consumption I have ever hit is 900 mA
(voltage is around 4.3 V).

$ grep Discharging energy2.txt | cut -d' ' -f6 | grep "^[1-9]" > a
$ gnuplot
gnuplot> set terminal dumb
gnuplot> plot "a"

    900000 ++-----+-----+------+-----+------+------+-----+------+-----+-----A+
           +      +     +      +     +      +      +     +      + "a" + A  AA+
    800000 ++                                                              A++
           |                                                               A |
    700000 ++                                                              A++
           |                                                               A |
           |                                                               A |
    600000 ++                                                              A++
           |                                                               A |
    500000 ++                                                              A++
           |                                                              AA |
    400000 ++                                                            AA ++
           |                                                          AAAA   |
    300000 ++                                                    AAAAAA     ++
           |                                                  AAAA           |
           |                                           AAAAAAAA              |
    200000 ++                                     AAAAAA                    ++
           |                         AAAAAAAAAAAAAA                          |
    100000 ++       AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA                                      ++
           0     500   1000   1500  2000   2500   3000  3500   4000  4500  5000

shows that the normal consumption in my use is around 300 mA.