Wiki page - which file system in sd card?

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at hist.no
Mon Feb 2 14:36:35 CET 2009

W.Kenworthy wrote:

> I have to disagree here - because my own opinion is that ext2/3 are not
> the best for every purpose, and are demonstrably a poor choice for OSM
> maps on an SD card for instance.
>
> Last I heard reiserfs3 is still being maintained, and it has some real
> advantages for OSM maps (reiserfs doesnt have inode limits like ext2/3
> does), and is much faster (against ext3).  The reason you give "if

Faster is definitely an advantage. Has this been measured on a
freerunner? Disk access characteristics and cpu power is very different
from a pc.

Inode limits is a non-issue though. If you know in advance what you will
use the filesystem for, then this lets you make an informed choice about
what filesystem to use. It also lets you create a ext2/ext3 filesystem
with enough inodes from the start. mkfs lets you specify an exact number
of inodes, a ratio of inodes to blocks, or "optimize for small file
storage" depending on how detailed one wants to be.

> There is a certain amount of YMMV with file system choices depending on
> your usage scenarios, but personally I would really like to use reiserfs
> and dump ext2/3 and all the problems they cause on the FR (lost
> data/corrupted filesystems, slow performance, ...) that I have.

Go ahead and use it. We can all be different - one of the better sides
of this phone.

Helge Hafting