Don't like unsolicited calls?

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at hist.no
Tue Feb 3 17:33:54 CET 2009

Crane, Matthew wrote:

> The auto-detect routines that make a human or answering machine
> determination before switching to an operator seem to fail consistently
> when answering with my openmoko phone.   I'd rather they didn't call at
> all, but at least when they do you don't have to listen to a sales
> pitch.  A very good thing for sure.

Well, this phone is programmable. Put the unwanted numbers on a blocking
list, and have the FR auto-reject them without ringing.

For something more creative, have the phone pretend to answer. It could
"listen" to the sales pitch. When silence is detected, pick from a pool
of short .wav files that say random stuff like "interesting, tell me
more", "could you please repeat that?", "just a
moment....<noises>.....where were we?", "could you take it from the
beginning, my aunt wants to hear about that too!"

Obviously, such a program should update the phone log with how much
telemarketer time it has wasted.  And a high-score list where you can
see who has talked for the longest time before realizing that something
was wrong. :-)

Helge Hafting