[All] FR survey and locations

Margo Koppelmann margo.koppelmann at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 13:53:32 CET 2009

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Ed Kapitein <ed at kapitein.org> wrote:
> Hi Margo,
>
> You can find out the cell id with the following chat script.
> ( asuming you use gsm0710muxd )
>
>       TIMEOUT 15
>        "" ATE0
>        ABORT BUSY
>        ABORT DELAYED
>        ABORT "NO ANSWER"
>        ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
>        ABORT VOICE
>        ABORT ERROR
>        ABORT RINGING
>        OK AT+CMGF=1
>        OK AT+CREG=2
>        OK AT+CREG?
>        OK AT+CREG=0
>        CLR_ABORT
>        ABORT OK
>
> Save it to /tmp/chatscript and run
>
> MODEM=$(dbus-send --system --print-reply --type=method_call
> --dest=org.pyneo.muxer /org/pyneo/Muxer
> org.freesmartphone.GSM.MUX.AllocChannel string:$identvar | grep string |
> awk -F '"' '{ print $2 }')
> # the above is 1 line
> chat -s -S -V -v -f  /tmp/chatscript > "${MODEM}" < "${MODEM}"
>

> This will give you the cellid and LAC in hex.
> Is this the same as the cell name?
>
> Kind regards,
> Ed

(First time it went only to Ed. I'm sending it again. Sorry.)

I think that is not the same. I don't know how it is called. But my
old nokia phone shows it on the home screen. And in the nokia's
settings menu it is called "cell info display". In my network it is
usually the name of the place where the cell tower locates and some
number (and when it's 1800MHz there is a number 8).

But I found out how I can see what frequency the FR is currently using
( http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo_1973_and_Neo_FreeRunner_gsm_modem#Serving_Cell_Information_.282.2C1.29
). I put AT%EM=2,1 in your chat script. Like this:

TIMEOUT 15
"" ATE0
ABORT BUSY
ABORT DELAYED
ABORT "NO ANSWER"
ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
ABORT VOICE
ABORT ERROR
ABORT RINGING
OK AT%EM=2,1
CLR_ABORT
ABORT OK

(I don't know if all these other lines are necessary).
It says my Current Channel Number is 49. So according to
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo_1973_and_Neo_FreeRunner_gsm_modem#Serving_Cell_Information_.282.2C1.29
my FR is currently using 900 MHz. I'll see if that changes if I go
somewhere else.