[All] To build a better music player

Dylan Reilly dreilly at atariland.net
Thu Feb 5 19:02:06 CET 2009

For what it's worth, I put an updated version on opkg.org [1]. Since
the last version, I: re-enabled seeking (UI for it still has some
bugs), made the mplayer back-end use mutagen as well, and stopped the
script that runs the program from exiting so enlightenment's start
feedback does not disappear so rapidly.

[1] http://www.opkg.org/package_1.html

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 6:02 AM, Helge Hafting <helge.hafting at hist.no> wrote:
> Dylan Reilly wrote:
>> I am still in the process of making changes, but I have some packages
>> if anyone wants to try it. This version has the option of using a
>> gstreamer back-end (the default with the packaged config file) instead
>> of mplayer. By using gstreamer, CPU and memory load have been reduced,
>
> Before, mplayer took 40%-50% of cpu according to top.
> Now, pythm-bin uses 48%-49% instead. This when playing stereo .ogg
> The transitions are perfect though. Good for "The Wall", where
> background sound sometimes go on from one song to the next.
> [...]
>> [1] http://atariland.net/~dreilly/openmoko/audio/pythm_0.5.1-dmr-20090129_armv4t.ipk
>> [2] http://atariland.net/~dreilly/openmoko/audio/mutagen_svn-4350_armv4t.ipk
>>
>> In the mean time, I will keep hacking away at it.
>>
> Thank you for doing this - the player is getting really good now.
>
> Helge Hafting

Dylan Maxwell Reilly