microsoft patent with idea's from this list

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at hist.no
Fri Feb 6 13:08:22 CET 2009

Al Johnson wrote:
>>> i didn't read it fully, but how does that differ from a simple hub or the
>>> common docking station well known to notebook users? and it what respect
>>> exactly is it not obvious?
>> Yeah, it is jsut like the docking stations used for laptops.
>> Doing exactly the same with a *phone*, now that phones almost are
>> notebooks - wasn't obvious to microsoft or that patent office, it seems.
>
> The patent office sees obviousness differently to engineers. Having a patent
> for something on a tractor for a particular reason doesn't stop someone
> getting a patent on the exact same thing for the same reason on a fork lift.
> Somehow it isn't obvious that if it works in one situation it'll also work in
> a similar one. They see moving the idea from one type of vehicle to another as
> an inventive step rather than an application of the blindingly obvious.

Hm. But in that case, I won't be infringing if I do the same thing on a
car. The tractor guy only has a patent for tractor application.

So perhaps a cradle for an _open source_ phone isn't covered then. :-)
Or maybe an "openmoko communication device". It isn't a phone, it is a
thing that has phone capabilities as one of many uses.

Helge Hafting