multitouch possible?

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at hist.no
Wed Feb 11 10:36:41 CET 2009

RzR www.rzr.online.fr wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 8:14 PM, Michal Brzozowski <rusolis at poczta.fm> wrote:
>> I just opened a drawing program and played with it using two fingers. The
>
> Hi this seems to become a legal limitation as well :
>
> http://www.newlc.com/en/multitouch-feature-any-screen#comment-50240
>
> If google fear apple's lawyers what about poormen like us ?
> ... Oh well, When you have nothing to loose you have everything to win

Just don't do it exactly the same way as apple did, then. In particular,
don't read their patent for inspiration.

One very simple way of getting limited multitouch is to
have several adjacent touchscreens instead of one big touchscreen.

2 independent touch devices is enough for games played with
"left thumb and right thumb". You can then press both flippers at once,
and similiar. Duke have more than 2 buttons, but you still only have two
for  thumbs so no problem there. Of course, multitouch isn't really
needed for gaming. Add a 4way controller and a couple of buttons on each
side, and gamers should be fine.

4 independent touch devices is enough if all you want is to stretch
windows in all directions at once.

More if you want to play chords on a virtual piano - one touchscreen for
each visible key.

Calibrating the stylus to track nicely across the seams
could be interesting though!

Helge Hafting