thoughts on A-GPS offline

Cédric Berger cedric.berger74 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 18:06:00 CET 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 17:49, Al Johnson <openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> I may be misunderstanding the suggestion, but I don't think it had anything to
> do with data from ublox. The suggestion was to use data sent by other
> freerunner users instead of the data supplied by ublox.

As I understood the suggestion was in reply to :

>> It is not a problem that user account is required when download u-blox online
>> aiding data.
> It is a problem since u-blox might go out of business and you might
> not want to tell them where you are all time. Their server also might
> be down. There are plenty of reasons to remove dependency to any
> single party.

The problem is that data from u-blox is a proprietary format, and as
far as I know, we do not know yet how to create the same data that can
be pushed to the GPS chip.
So for now we need to get this info from u-blox . Hence the account
problem. I understood the suggestion just as way to cache this info in
response to the availability problem for u-blox online service.