Annuncing new Project - Intone mplayer frontend

Fabian Henze CC.Fan at gmx.de
Fri Feb 20 12:59:50 CET 2009

Hi,

>   Well, intone - the media player in making (and it's **really** basic as
> of now), uses 0% CPU (according to HTOP (all my tests are with it).
> mplayer, in a separate thread uses its usual 15% or so.
>
>   I'm using anjuta and glade for development, using fifo (named pipe) to
> communicate with mplayer running as slave and gtk+ for the frontend. As I
> have said before - the code is ***really*** basic. It makes a lot of
> assumptions, and is right now just a demonstration program - while I get
> some feedback on whether I need to put in any more time in it at all.

If it is in such an early state, you might consider switching to some EFL
based GUI library, like Elementary or Edje. Besides eating less RAM than your
GTK+ program, they are also easier to use on touchscreen devices.
Your ideas sound really promising, so please consider the switch to a toolkit,
that was designed for small screen devices.
(The right tool for the right job ;-))

-- Fabian