[Query] Known Good SD cards

Martin Bernreuther MartinBern at web.de
Fri Feb 20 20:49:13 CET 2009

Hello,

Am Freitag, 20. Februar 2009 schrieb Alex Fitzpatrick:
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Supported_microSD_cards

I bought a microSD-card together with the FR
(http://www.pulster.de/index.htm?openmoko.htm)
and this Kingston 8GB model seems to be supported
looking at the given page.
In contrast to http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Booting_from_SD#Prepare_the_SD_card
I have 4 partitions on this SD-card at the moment:
A small one (vfat) for the kernel, a rootfs partion and a kind of "home"-partition,
where I keep personal data (both ext3) and a swap partition (which is probably not needed).
Still I determine a strange behaviour running distributions
from this card and also for data from this card used by my
everyday-distribution (QtExtended) on the FR.
Files seem to get broken after a while or temporarly can't be read.
This might be due to the used uboot (from Om2008.12 for gta02v5_and_up)
or kernel (http://moko.mwester.net/download/uImage-gta02-g291a9d50_mwester-stable.bin
and several ones on the card) or something else. The question is

How do you determine, if a card is supported?
What is the procedure? What are the tests/benchmarks used?

Looking at http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Supported_microSD_cards again,
it's not clear to me, how these results were obtained (green/red status). Is it like
"This card seems to work, because I haven't noticed any problems the last days"...

What about the bootloader?
The table only lists u-boot. What about Qi (http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Qi),
which was announced as u-boot successor? Is it advisable to move to Qi?

Thanks,
	Martin
Martin Bernreuther	MartinBern at web.de