Need help flashing my freerunner for the first time

Adam Jimerson vendion at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 13:21:12 CET 2009

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 5:48 AM, Fernando Martins <fernando at cmartins.nl>wrote:

> Adam Jimerson wrote:
> > I just got my freerunner today and when I have been trying to flash it
> > with OM 2008.12 now that it is charged (comparing my Home and the
> > images on the wiki I don't even think it came with 2007 installed),
> > according to http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Flashing I should not set
> > up a usb0 connection but dfu-util doesn't seem to be working with it.
> > The "dfu-util -l" only sees it half the time and when I try to backup
> > the Kernel with "dfu-util -a kernel -R -U good-kernel.img" the
> > freerunner just times out.  The host that I am using is openSUSE 11.1.
> Intermittent errors typically point out to hardware problems. I guess
> you are using a new USB cable from the OM package, so try connecting it
> to a different USB port / computer. Anyway I also had some unreliability
> issues with the USB connection, including device not found and flashes
> with errors. One aspect is that the order of connecting seems important:
> that is, connect one end of the cable, switch on OM to boot from NOR
> flash, connect the other end of the cable.
>
> Do not reboot with the cable linked: it has always locked with me.
>
> Fernando

My big problem is that the freerunner stays active for 30 seconds, but
dfu-util takes 3 minutes before it even tries to connect, by this time it
just spits out an error about how it can't find the device.  I am using the
USB cable that came in the OM package, I can deffinitly try a different USB
port, good thing my computer has a lot of those it seems.  As for the
setting menu not working on my phone does this work in 2008.12?  This now my
biggest reason for wanting to flash it, without access to settings there is
not much I can do to it.