(SHR) again

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Sun Feb 22 18:43:43 CET 2009

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 17:19:29 +0100
Francesco de Virgilio <fradeve11 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Pardon, I answer myself[1]: the GPS is powered on autoagically on
> boot, so... is there a way to default power it off on boot?
>
> Thanks ;)

It IS powered off by default.  'Auto' means that frameworkd will power
up the relevant subsystem only if/when something requests the
resource.  In the case of the GPS, fso-gpsd is not starting up the gps,
but is waiting for something to access its 'fake' libgpsd, and when that
happens it requests the gps resource from frameworkd, so that it powers
up the GPS.

Similar with WiFi - until something requests the resource it is
completely powered down.  (except - like other non-gps resources on the
FreeRunner - it doesn't have a special external handler like fso-gpsd,
it depends on the resource being properly requested via dbus)

The GSM chipset is also handled this way - with SHR, the GSM chipset
isn't powered up until something requests it.  (like ophonekitd, Paroli,
Zhone, etc)  But ophonekitd is launched by default when X starts up,
so the visible effect is that GSM is powered on automatically when
booted.

The result is that if you were to disable ophonekitd, you could boot
the FR and it would initially conserve maximum power by leaving GPS,
GSM, Wifi, and Bluetooth powered down.