Need for application like PC Suite from Nokia?

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at hist.no
Mon Feb 23 16:06:28 CET 2009

Andreas Willich wrote:
> Hi List
>

> I am currently developing a PIM synchronization app for the Neo
> (https://projects.openmoko.org/projects/mokosync/
> http://www.opkg.org/package_134.html )
>
> After a mail from c_c
> (http://lists.openmoko.org/nabble.html#nabble-f528198 ) I got the idea
> to extend it to an application like the PC Suite app from Nokia.
>
> So you can send SMS from your PC, edit the various settings for the
> different applications (TangoGPS, Navit, ...), install applications and
> transfer files between PC and Neo.
>

> What do you think? Is such an application needed?

ssh does this for me already - I use the pc screen & pc keyboard because
those are so much more convenient than the freerunner when editing files
or installing stuff.

And to send a SMS from the PC, I can run openmoko-messages from the ssh
command prompt. Then I get the messaging app displayed on the pc. Same
for all the other graphical apps on the freerunner.

Of course this is done with a linux PC, but install a windows xserver
and then this should work for a windows pc too. (Or run linux in a
virtual machine.)

Helge Hafting