GPS emergency call standards

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Tue Feb 24 15:22:15 CET 2009

Am 24.02.2009 um 12:38 schrieb Helge Hafting:

> Tilman Baumann wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm just wondering if there are any open standards for emergency
>> services for location.
>> I'm thinking about services like http://www.steiger-stiftung.de
>> (European, websites in other languages should be available)
>>
>>  A SMS to the respective emergency (112, 911) number containing the
>> GPS position could be a start, but then someone has to read it.
>> I would guess there is a standard for a computer readable format.
>>
>> Building a emergency call app would be a nice thing to have.
>>
>> PS: According to Wikipedia, 112 works on all GSM networks no matter
>> if
>> the number is a emergency number in tie state.
>
> If you have the gps coordinates, just tell them over the phone as you
> make the call. They will use it if they have gps eqipment, which is
> likely.

As log as you are able to do so.
I'm more thinking about something like a machine readable side channel
paralel to a regular emergency call.

BTW. the German ADAC is completely helpless if you provide them GPS
coordinates.

> Automating this seems dangerous in that your SMS to the
> emergency service is delayed by a few minutes as the phone struggle to
> get the first fix. When you talk, you can fall back on other
> descriptions of the place (addresses, road names) if coordinates
> aren't
> available.

Depends, when a GPS fix is made it will be much more precise and
quicker.

And there seems to be a standard for cars to make automatic emergency
calls on accidents.
It is called eCall and no technical information is to be found... :)