GPS - how to get lat lon and time from a bash script file ?

kimaidou kimaidou at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 17:55:51 CET 2009

Hi all

I come back after some tests. I would like to stick on bash script for
several reasons (don't want to load another instance of python just to
record some sound, etc.). So among your answer, I tried to use one of this
line

echo p | nc -w1 0 gpsd | tr -d '\r\n' | cut -d'=' -f2

But I got nothing in return. Could you please be more specific :
* do I need to start gpsd first
* will this work on every distribution, or do I need to change gpsd by
fso-gpsd or anything else ?
* how do I know I have a fix before using this line ?

Thanks in advance