GPS - how to get lat lon and time from a bash script file ?

Ed Kapitein ed at kapitein.org
Tue Feb 24 21:24:00 CET 2009

Hi kimaidou,

on om 2008.12 do:

-1 in settings turn on gps hardware
-2 start gpsd (/etc/init.d/gpsd start)
-3 read the gps data (gpspipe -r)

To check if you have a fix, you might want to clean out the lines that
have no lat/long info like this:

gpspipe -r | grep GPGGA | grep -v ',,,,,,'

And to get it in a human readable format you can use
gpspipe -r | dd count=20 |  gpsbabel -i nmea -f - -o gpx -F -

Please read the man pages of gpsd, gpspipe, dd and gpsbabel, they are
good starting points for learning
bash scripting.

For me echo p | nc -w1 0 gpsd  is *not* working.

Kind regards,
Ed