Introducing CellHunter (Update 0.4.1)

Sebastian Hammerl list-openmoko at omoco.de
Thu Feb 26 11:17:33 CET 2009

Yeah, good question :)

if you would have a complete database you can get your rough location.
google uses this for a quick location info bevor gps gets a fix. or you
can use it for agps. there you need a location in a range about 50km and
that a cell can give you. cells range is about 1-10km so this is a good
approximation.

for the most location based services this location info is good enough.
think about: "give me a restaurant in the near" or "remind me when i am
near this place". you dont have to wait until you get a fix and know in
a second where you are.

i hope thats enough motivation to build the database together.

the best at the end: you get points on the highscore :)

Sebastian