espeak, mbrola, utf8, navit : problem with french accentuated, letters

Xavier Cremaschi omega.xavier at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 20:53:48 CET 2009

Gilles Casse a écrit :
> The issue with French accent is the same than the one with the German
> character:
> http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2008-December/038801.html

Yes I noticed that ;)

> I am currently using an old OM distro and hackable:1 and can't help
> further sorry for installing the locales on OM 2008.12.

In fact I cannot found any glibc-locale-fr package installable, so I did
a copy of my /usr/lib/locale/locale-archive, following your example. Now
it works

As mentioned on http://espeak.sourceforge.net/mbrola.html
$espeak -v mb-fr1 -f napoleon.txt | mbrola -e /usr/share/mbrola/fr1 -
test.wav
$mplayer test.wav
works and it is not too bad.

But I cannot pipe the output from mbrola through aplay. The pipe seems
to lack of some headers :
$espeak -v mb-fr1 -f napoleon.txt | mbrola -e /usr/share/mbrola/fr1 -
test.wav
$file test.wav
test.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 16 bit,
mono 16000 Hz

$espeak -v mb-fr1 -f napoleon.txt | mbrola /usr/share/mbrola/fr1 - - |
cat > test.wav
$file test.wav
test.wav: data

Size are also a bit different, the piped one is 44 bytes smaller.