[Om2008.9] Spanish Illume keyboard (was: Call for Illume keyboardsand keyboard icons)

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Fri Jan 2 13:03:59 CET 2009

El día Friday, January 02, 2009 a las 10:30:19PM +1100, Carsten Haitzler escribió:

> On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 11:28:17 +0100 Matthias Apitz <guru at unixarea.de> babbled:
>
> > El día Friday, January 02, 2009 a las 09:12:43PM +1100, Carsten Haitzler
> > escribió:
> >
> > > On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 21:00:36 +1100 Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
> > > <raster at rasterman.com> babbled:
> > >
> > > gah! replying to myself.. found out why...
> > >
> > > you file was NOT UTF-8~ it was iso8859! no no! MUST BE UTF-8!
> > >
> > > attached fixed file - in utf8. works fine.
> >
> > Nop. I've installed your file and restarted the Xserver;
> > if you select CAPS mode, then hit the capital Ñ (Ntilde) it appears as
> > capital Ñ in the line and waits for further completion, if you now hit
> > this Ñ it is moved to the SMS buffer as small ñ (ntilde).
>
> i'm getting capitals.. actually ok - the 2nd time i do it it is. not the first.
> i think the utf8 normalization that florian did has some issues i think.

For me it does not work; I've marked in CAPS mode 5x the Ñ which gives a
word of ÑÑÑÑÑ, as you see in
http://www.sisis.de/~guru/OMkbd/Screenshot-25.png
then I touch this word and it is moved to the SMS buffer as (small)
ñññññ, as you see here
http://www.sisis.de/~guru/OMkbd/Screenshot-26.png

do you want me to file a bug report? where? in OM or Illume?

> and yes - it you use quotes it goes via the dictionary lookup and works better
> - the problem is needing to know what shift plus the 'ñ' key does. as such the
> code does a lookup of keyboard maps - for keymaps that have a/A on a key this
> works. as does 4/$ etc. for shift and caps - the problem is.. you have no
> keyboard with normal ñ key - and thus x doesn't KNOW that shift + ñ == Ñ - it
> has no idea, so you get a small. the string version can encode the
> capitalisation but simply shift + keysym doesnt end up producing a capitalised
> version in x's view of the keyboard world. (unlike shift + a == A).
>
> so now illume needs a hard-coded table of this stuff that x doesn't know to
> basically bypass x. and as such such a table or infra doesn't exist - so you're
> stuck until it does. x's internal "table" doesnt  have this. :)

I was as well looking for a better solution, like the one I have on my
FreeBSD laptop whith X11+KDE; I'm re-using the WINDOWS key with a script
like this:

$ cat xmod.sh
# para español / for Spanish
#
xmodmap -e "keycode 0x73 =  Mode_switch"
xmodmap -e "keycode 0x39 =  n N ntilde Ntilde"
xmodmap -e "keycode 0x1a =  e E eacute Eacute"
xmodmap -e "keycode 0x26 =  a A aacute Aacute"
xmodmap -e "keycode 0x1f =  i I iacute Iacute"
xmodmap -e "keycode 0x1e =  u U uacute Uacute"
xmodmap -e "keycode 0x20 =  o O oacute Oacute"
xmodmap -e "keycode 0x14 =  questiondown question backslash ssharp"
xmodmap -e "keycode 0x0a =  1 exclam exclamdown onesuperior"

and all is fine, *all* X11 clients get the correct Spanish chars using
      WINDOWSkey + n --> ñ
SHIFT+WINDOWSkey + n --> Ñ
and so on...

I think, this would be the correct way to do that, and of course without any
diccionary lookup; just re-mapping (xmodmap) keycode NUMBER to
KEYSYMNAME(s);

can we have this in OM+Illume too? would be nice;

for the moment I can live having at least the small Spanish chars :-)
the Spanish Writing Rules of RAE (The Real Spain Academy)
claims that on writing the capital chars, they must not, but can, be tilded.
So, from that point of view RAE all is fine now;

Thx

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz
Manager Technical Support - OCLC GmbH

SPAMer of the year: Subject: Alle Software ist Deutsche Sprachen