Strength int to bar conversion

Sam Kuper sam.kuper at uclmail.net
Mon Jan 5 23:55:22 CET 2009

2009/1/5 The Rasterman Carsten Haitzler <raster at rasterman.com>

> why take something with high accuracy and make it nice an inaccurate by
> reducing its resolution to basically 5 levels?

For simplicity, for unobtrusiveness, and for conformity with standard phone
UI practice, I'd guess. The typical 4-bar meter is good at a split-second's
glance, yet takes up very little room.

Sure, it can be made clickable if you want the detail, but for a quick
glance, it's a good compromise, IMO. Plus it make the phone easier to
explain to Grandma :)

Anyway, is it really "something with high accuracy"? I'd be interested to
know whether the reading Michele is getting takes into account S/N ratio or
not.

Sam