Default IP Address on All Distributions

Thomas Otterbein th.otterbein at gmx.net
Tue Jan 6 12:36:20 CET 2009

Hi Helge,

I largely agree with you. Yes of course every needs to be widely configurable.
To me the phone be able to be confiured to a range starting from fixed IP and
just sitting there waiting for it's masters orders to booking automatically
into known WLANs and downloading updates without any user interaction. Between
these two extremes there are numerous layers of asking for
permission/confirmation, just notifying me of something, etc., which of course
should also be configurable.

Probably a standard for "convenience levels" would help to describe what the
phone should do or not do. Or usage scenarios like "I'm just a user on
holiday, trying to find the next free wifi hotspot" or "I'm the companies
administrator and believe me I know what I'm doing". Applications or the phone
as such could adhere to this and behave appropriate.

Regards
  thomas