Hardware buzz - can OpenMoko help?

Christ van Willegen cvwillegen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 15:01:58 CET 2009

To whom this may concern...

I've been using my FreeRunner for some time now, and although some
points keep irking me (esp. sound and accelerometers after
suspend/resume), it's more and more a daily phone. Except for the
buzz.

The last few days, people have constantly complained about a loud,
high-pitched noise when I call them. I presume it's the 'ahrdware
buzz' we're talking about here.

I am unable to do the hardware fix for this, myself, and I find it
troublesome to go somewhere and get my (still expensive!) phone
'fixed'.

I'd rather have an OpenMoko (or FIC) engineer fix this for me, but
shipping would be prohibitively expensive, I guess.

Here's a thought... on Februari 7th and 8th there will be the Fosdem
event, in Brussels, Belgium. Would it be possible to send someone over
with an SMD soldering iron, a boatload of capacitors and other stuff
needed to do the SD-card cap and buzz cap fix? I'd gladly pay a couple
of euro's (10? 20?) to get this fixed in a way that I know it will be
done correctly.

If enough geeks show up with their phones, paying 10 or 20 euro... I
have no idea how many phones were sold in Europe, and how much time it
takes to do the fix, so I can't calculate costs vs. money, but perhaps
this would be a way to help us users from 'far away'.

Thoughts?

Christ van Willegen
--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0