When will kernel 2.6.24 be replaced by andy 2.6.28 kernel for better suspend/resume?

Fox Mulder Quakeman1 at gmx.net
Tue Jan 6 20:29:17 CET 2009

Fox Mulder wrote:
> Paul Fertser wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> Ok.
>>> I downloaded the fso-frameworkd source, copied the patch into it and
>>> applied it without any problems. Now do i install the fso-frameworkd
>>> with "./setup.py install" ?
>> That's distribution-dependent. I'd suggest to apply the patch to the
>> frameworkd you have already installed and change
>> /etc/freesmartphone/oevents/rules.yaml by hand.
>>
>> Or if you want to try to install from source, you probably don't need
>> any patches at all, as you can install a version recent enough (though
>> it's possible that some SHR apps are not ready yet).
>>
>>> But i have the problem that on [1] only the 2.6.28 kernel but no modules
>>> are online. Where do i get the corresponsing modules for this kernel?
>>> Last time i checked there was an older kernel with a modules package but
>>> no more.
>> I think it's assumed that everything you need for everyday work is
>> compiled-in. If you want to use some webcams or other unusual devices,
>> just compile a kernel yourself from git, it's not hard. Or ask Andy to
>> provide all the modules ;)
>>
> I don't think that all modules are compiled in because the current
> kernel is only 896K in size. And the OM kernels are ~1,7M.
> I already though about compiling the freerunner kernel myself having a
> bit knowledge about normal pc linux kernel compilation.
> But for this i have to set up cross compile what i never did before. So
> first i have to find a good how-to which describes how i fetch the
> kernel with git (never used it) and how to cross compile it for my
> freerunner on my pc.
> It would be much easier if i got a working kernel and modules. Maybe
> andy has a bit spare time to update his website. Else i have to jump in
> the cold water and do this on my own. :/

I installed the om toolchain and compiled the 2.6.28 kernel after some
help of [1] and google with "./build dummy". After i compiled the kernel
i got "dummy/uImage-GTA02.bin" what looks quite good so far.
But how do i extract the compiled modules from the dummy directory to
package them for transfer to the freerunner?
On my pc i just would do "make modules_install" to copy the compiled
modules to the right place. And in the subdirectories of the dir "dummy"
are predominantly *.cmd and *.o files but modules normally end with
*.ko. So i don't know what to to at this point to get the modules out of it.

I hope someone can help me a bit. :)

Ciao,
     Rainer

[1]