Illume keyboard dictionary sorting and normalization

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Wed Jan 7 00:29:01 CET 2009

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 15:58:55 +0100 Pander <pander at users.sourceforge.net>
babbled:

> Pander wrote:
> > However it would be desirable that each .kbd file can indicate:
> > - predictive mode is not possible, e.g. for numeric keyboards. I don't
> > want it to remember my PIN, credit card number, etcetera. (numeric
> > keyboard, a real one, without the é, ë, ..)
> > - predictive mode is default on, but user can temporarily disable it,
> > e.g. when going into a shell (alpha keyboard)
> > - predictive mode is defaul off, but user can temporarily enable it,
> > e.g. when typing proza inside a shell (terminal keyboard)

> I think the functionality described above is already partly implemented for:
> - type NUMERIC
> - type ALPHA
> - type TERMINAL
> settings in the .kbd file. But what behaviour is exactly enabled by the
> above types?

none. it's a "hint". for example if the app requests "you're in a numeric input
field - as the keyboard for a numeric mode" for the keyboard code to switch
layouts to that layout. it's to hook with the hints from apps.

> Could TERMINAL and NUMERIC by default also be non-predictive?

they are both non predictive. remember the kbd only puts strings through the
dict - keysyms (raw key names) it doesn't.

> It is not clear for me from
> http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/browser/trunk/e/src/modules/illume/e_kbd.c
> and
> http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/browser/trunk/e/src/modules/illume/e_kbd_int.c
> what effect it has on predictive mode. Also There are many more modes
> available like HEX, PASSWORD etc.

dictionary use is implied by how the key outputs a char. i.ie using "!" instead
of exclam (for exlamation mark) puts ! thru the dict, but exclam goes straight
to the app - no dict involved. thats whhy terminal.kbd doesnt go through the
dictionary prediction at all - as no keys there output a string.

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com