GPRS unreliable: long lasting connection fail

Niccolo Rigacci niccolo at rigacci.org
Mon Jan 12 09:39:00 CET 2009

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 08:13:56AM +0000, Tom Yates wrote:

> i use 2008.12 with gsm0710uxd, and i've had fairly long travelling GPRS
> calls (15-20 minutes on the train back from london).

Please tell me: with gsm0710uxd the connection is still done by
pppd/chat?

> since i have an
> all-you-can-eat GPRS plan, i'd happily try this for myself and give you
> feedback.  how long is "long-lasting", for you?

I hope to last 12 hours or so, because I do GPS live tracking
with position upload to the internet every 5/10 seconds.

But the real problem is that if the connection fails, it will not
restart again. I can add a cronjob to test connection and restart
it, but I know that pppd should manage the fault.

--
Niccolo Rigacci
Firenze - Italy